Another article, "The Green Knight Should Be GReen: Graphic Response to Literature," mentions the benefits of creative projects, "They [students] create not only imaginative and sometimes well-executed artwork but artwork that represents focused and insightful interpretations of the text" (Broz 57). This quote tells us that students are thoroughly undderstanding the texts they are reading and forming supported interpretations.
These two articles support the idea of allowing students to participate in artistic representations of literature. It is evident that students think just as critically, if not moreso, while creating a porject than they would when formulating an essay. Although it may seem as though these artistic creations are taking the place of writing, they are not. That is one misconception I had while reading these articles. In fact, students are still required to write explanations as to why they created what they did and how they came to the conclusion. However, the students find it easier to write these explanations and essays after finishing their projects.
A key necessity students need when creating their artistic interpretation is freedom. Often times, teachers provide students with answers or push them toward the conclusion. Teachers should have discussions with their students, rather than asking them questions to which they already know the answer. A smart and effective way to check for understanding is through class discussions where the students and teacher have back and forth conversations rather than a plethora of questions rattled off by the teacher that mimic a quiz. Initiating a response, as we discussed in class, does not allow students to think critically or form their own interpretations.
Here is a pinterest link to a meme that I thought went along pretty well with what was discussed and read in this unit. It mentions some, but not all, of the necessities for success.
sents focused and insightful interpretations of the
literature
Hi Samuel,
ReplyDeleteThis is a strong reflection, because I can tell that you truly learned a great deal from this unit. I like that you wrote creative projects breed criitcal thoughts" because that was the point of some of these readings. I also appreciate that you understand that these types of assignments aren't the end of the learning, but they are used to spark critical thinking. I'd like to add that yes, freedom is important, but I don't think that can always happen as there still need to be some directives in learning. But I think from this post that you probably understand that too and are just pointing out some of the value from the readings.