This unit was about podcasting, something that is growing exponentially in popularity. For those who may not know, a podcast is a sort of combination between a radio show and a tv show. At first listen, you might even think a podcast is a radio show. However, podcasts are not live. They are pre-recorded, edited and released on certain days. Podcasts have episodes that can be downloaded or streamed on a phone, laptop, or any mobile device. Some episodes are relaeased daily, while others are released weekly or monthly; it all depends on the particular podcast you're listening to. Although podcasts, as mentioned, have episodes, like tv shows, they do not have film. That is, it is simply an audio recording.
Podcasts are not something I staunchly listen to. I do not rigourlously follow any podcasts or podcasters. I have heard a few episodes here and there of a few different podcasts, but nothing really struck me as overly entertaining about them. Perhaps the biggest attraction podcasts have is their flexibility and mobility. They can be listened to anywhere, while doing anything. However, anytime I could be listening to a podcast, I would rather be listening to music. I enjoy music so much that I simply do not want to listen to podcasts because I would rather listen to music.
That being said, I do think podcasts are entertaining and even educational, just not as entertaining music. I think podcasts are worth listening to if you have the time and willingness to listen to what is being said. When I initially thought about podcasts being used in the classroom, I was a bit surprised. But after doing some research and reading the articles for this unit, I think they should be used more, especially in ELA and socia studies classes. "Podcasts provide a unique opportunity for students to embrace experimentation and to take risks with their own voices, explore the school building and community, and become well-known by their teachers and peers" (Faughey 68). Podcasts help students, in groups and alone, to express their opinions confidently. There are no cameras, no one is watching, it is very informal. Having a podcast is like having a conversation.
Because podcasts are still new to the scene, I thought it might be helpful to include an article, albeit from 2014, about podcasts.
No comments:
Post a Comment