Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Unit 7

         Unit 7 focused on Process Drama.  When I first heard the phrase, it reminded me of an activity that some classmates and myself conducted in high school.  After learning a bit about Process Drama, I concluded that our activity was in fact, Process Drama.  So, what exactly is process drama?  Well, it is when students, as well as teachers, assume the roles of characters in plays, novels, poems etc.  It is a teaching method used to help students understand more thoroughly the ideas and concepts in a medium.

        There are many different ways of incorporating Process Drama into the classroom.  One way, which I think to be one of the more useful, ones is Hotseating.  A student, or teacher, assumes the role of a character and is then put on the spot, so to speak.  They are essentially interrogated and must respond to the questions posed by other characters as if they were in fact the character in the story.  I think Hotseating is especially useful because it requires students to think critically and quickly about the characters, their motives and their personalities.

        As I said, above, this unit reminded me of an assignment in my twelfth grade English class.  My classmates and I reenacted "The Physicians Tale" from Geoffrey Chaucers The Canterbury Tales.  To this day, I still remember everything about that tale and the assignment.  I am certain I would not be able to recall everything about the tale had it not been for the assignment.  The video is posted here.  It's about seven minutes long and some of the acting is better than others.  I hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unit 8

           Much like unit seven, unit eight was very short.  It too focused on drama and how it can be implemented in English Language Arts ...